Tuesday, March 24, 2009

born to swim

I was a lifeguard in high school and one of the most terrifying things for me was watching new mothers try to teach their babies to swim. I'd sit on the edge of my chair, ready to dive in at a moment's notice. Luckily, there were no mishaps on my watch...but as a result, I'm always looking for better ways to introduce kids to the water. Aquanilo, based in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, is one of them. "Danilo and I started this company with one thing in mind: To provide the best swimming for infants and babies, while providing parents with the support they need to supplement their parenting style," says Yaron Landow, CEO. Landow co-owns Aquanilo with Swim Director and 2000 Olympics participant Danilo Krvavac, a driving force behind the program, shown here teaching a five-month-old to swim. In addition to swimming lessons, an on-site certified doula offers exceptional parenting support. "The doula helps parents understand how specific exercises help their children's cognitive and physical growth," says Landow. "She is also there to talk to new moms about everything from breastfeeding to dealing with the necessary adjustments when becoming a new parent." The business wouldn't be a success without the duo's passion for the sport; Landow says he discovered his at a young age. "When I was about four years old, I was scared of dogs," he recalls. "I was at a hotel that had a resident dog that walked around the property and was always barking. One day I was at the pool with my older sister and the dog started chasing me and barking. I ran away and jumped into the pool. I was thankful that I knew how to swim and that the dog didn't like water." For more info on this innovative swim program, email aquaniloswim@gmail.com.

1 comment: